Here's how to resolve common issues you may face when completing the Persona verification process.
- Q1: Why am I seeing "Failed to capture screenshot and/or the Play icon" when prompted to take a photo?
- Q2: Why isn't the barcode being captured clearly?
- Q3: Why am I getting the "Session Expired" error message?
- Q4: Why has my verification link expired?
- Q5: Why am I seeing the "We can't access your camera" error message?
- Q6: I'm having trouble scanning my passport.
Q1: Why am I seeing "Failed to capture screenshot and/or the Play icon" when prompted to take a photo?
A: If you've encountered this issue, check that your device has Low Power Mode turned off and is sufficiently charged. Your device limits video function to save battery power; this is why you will see the failed to capture message when trying to submit your government ID or selfie.
Q2: Why isn't the barcode being captured clearly?
A: Since barcodes are very detailed, we require high-quality images to decode the barcode from the ID. Image resolution, image focus, lighting, and noise can all impact barcode scans.
To increase the quality of your photos, you can try the following steps:
- If you are using a desktop computer, switch to a mobile device. Mobile phones have higher quality cameras than desktop computers.
- Adjust your lighting. Position the barcode so that it is not backlit. Reduce any glare.
- Hold the camera or ID as still as possible.
Q3: Why am I getting the "Session Expired" error message?
A: If you started your verification flow, and then left the flow (for example, by closing your browser window) before you completed it, your session will expire for security reasons.
Q4: Why has my verification link expired?
A: For security reasons, each link will expire. By default, your link expires 24 hours after it was created, but the organization that directed you to the Persona flow may change this default. If you would like to resume your verification, please reach out to the organization that directed you to the Persona flow.
Q5: Why am I seeing the "We can't access your camera" error message?
A: If you received this error message during the Persona verification flow, you will need to enable camera permissions for your device and/or browser in order to complete the flow.
How you enable camera permissions depends on your browser and device type.
If you're using Chrome, please follow the steps in the relevant link below:
If you're on Safari, please follow the relevant steps below:
- For Desktop
- For mobile devices below iOS 13:
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Scroll down and select Safari.
- Scroll down and select Camera. Set the permission setting to "Ask" or "Allow".
For mobile devices on iOS 13:
Tap the "AA" icon in the URL bar in the top left.
Then tap "Website Settings." Here, set camera permissions to "Allow" or "Ask".
If you're viewing the Persona verification flow via an iOS or Android app:
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Go to Apps.
- Find the app that you wish to enable camera permissions for.
- Find the App Settings and allow camera permissions.
Q6: I'm having trouble scanning my passport.
For tips on how to successfully upload your passport, see: How to upload your passport with NFC (for end users).