What is Document Verification?
Your organization may need to collect and verify documents from individuals or companies that are not government-issued IDs (e.g. SSN cards, W2s, IRS notices, utility bills). These documents may be part of your user diligence or business diligence processes — for proof of address, proof of SSN, proof of EIN, etc.
For non-government ID documents, Persona's Document Verification product allows you to:
- Securely request and collect the document (secure document collection)
- Run additional checks to look for signs of image or file tampering (fraud checks)
- Search for specific text within the document or OCR certain fields (document extraction)
Document Verification can help organizations automate a large portion of what is often a very manual and time consuming process.
If you're interested in Document Verification, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Secure document collection
Your organization can use Persona to securely request and collect a variety of documents, in addition to your existing identity verification flow, or as a standalone document request.
Popular combinations include:
- Document only (request one or more documents)
- Government ID + selfie + document
- Database verification with a fallback to government ID + selfie + document
You can incorporate Document Verification via API or integrating our hosted or embedded UI flow. If you integrate our UI, you can customize the copy on the screens where you request a document to outline which documents you are requesting and which documents are acceptable. Secure Document Collection can be used without Fraud Checks or Extraction — purely as a way to securely collect and store information from an individual. In addition, you'll be able link these documents back to an individual's record or Account within Persona via reference ID. This lets you view the full record of the individual including all verifications, reports, and documents — within the Persona Account.
In addition to Secure Document Collection, Persona can run certain fraud checks on documents to look for instances where a document has been tampered with editing software, is publicly found online, or is missing required fields
Persona can run the following types of fraud checks on documents:
- Detect compromised documents: Checks the submitted document against sets of known compromised documents and flags if there is a match.
- Flag document modification: Detects if a document has been tampered with by an editing tool after its creation.
- Verify extracted information: Verifies properties found on the document (e.g. EIN) against government and other databases.
- Check for recency: Ensures that a document (e.g. utility bill) has been issued within a period of X days (e.g. 30, 60, 90 days).
Persona can extract (and OCR) specific information from a document. Note that all extraction is dependent on the quality of the images provided.
Persona offers two different types of extraction:
- Guided extraction means you would pass Persona the actual information we're looking for in the document (e.g. the name of the business, address, or EIN). This information is used to guide OCR of the document. Because we're looking for specific information, this form of extraction has high accuracy.
- Unguided extraction means that you would ask Persona to look for a specific field (e.g. name, SSN, EIN, date) from the document, without guidance. In this case, Persona uses pattern matching (i.e. looking for a series of numbers that match the format of the EIN). Unguided extraction is typically 60-80% accurate. For example, we may find a series of dates that match the format of a date within the document — one of which is the date you are looking for.
Although we recommend guided extraction wherever possible for the highest accuracy, unguided extraction can be used when the exact value that is being extracted from the document is unknown. Persona currently can support the following properties for unguided extraction:
- Business name
- Individual name
- Phone number
With either type of extraction (guided or unguided), we would also recommend that you use Workflows and Cases tools to establish business logic for approving, declining, or manually reviewing documents based on the outcome of Fraud Checks and Document Extraction.
How does Document Verification work?
Document Verification works just like Persona's government ID flow. Your user will be prompted to upload their document and in a matter of a few seconds, Persona will analyze the document and, depending on your customized criteria, either accept the document, fail it, or send it to manual review
What types of documents can Persona accept?
Persona can accept a variety of documents. To learn more, reach out to your customer success manager or email@example.com.
Can I require that certain properties exist in a document in order for it to be accepted?
Yes — let's say your organization only wants to accept documents that contain an address. Persona can recognize whether a document has an address on it and if it does, allow the user to upload successfully, or if not, prompt the user to try again.
What type of information can be extracted from documents?
Persona can extract many different properties such as address, business name, employer identification number (EIN), and individual name. If you have additional needs please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there a page limit for the Documents that are uploaded?
Documents with up to 20 pages can be uploaded.